View Single Post
Old 03-18-10, 01:44 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm against it unless it is applied universally across the entire range of ages for those who drive, and even then I'm not sure I would support it. From first hand experience (I'll get to them in a minute) I know that taking over the road driving tests are somewhat flawed to begin with. I think if the current practices we know (i.e., abundant evidence exists) that contributes to unsafe driving were rigorously eliminated, there's be no need. That is, drunk driving, cell phone use and texting, eating/drinking while driving, putting on make-up while driving, reading the newspaper while driving, if they were stopped, we'd see a serious reduction in the death rate, which BTW is dropping steadily here in the USA.

I observed two instances in the last ten years at two different testing facilities that really caused me to question the objective nature of driving tests. The first was when an attractive woman was being tested. I heard the man going to test her whisper to the other guy testing that day, "She shows me any thigh and she'll pass." I suspect she did just that, because while watching the test I noted it took five tries to parallel park and at the end of the test she drove up onto the curb. And, yep, you guessed it - she passed. The second was when a young man with very long hair and a Metallica t-shirt on was waiting in his car for his test. The man doing the test muttered to himself as he walked toward the car, "Damn freaks. Snowball's chance in hell he'll pass." And, as you can guess, he failed.