View Single Post
Old 03-18-10, 09:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked 2,639 Times in 1,464 Posts
The reality is that there are only a handful of factories in Korea, Taiwan and China that produce garden variety butyl tubes for folks to put their own labels on, so regardless of the package, brand or distribution channel all tubes come from one of these.

While there are some quality differences between the best and the cheapest (not talking of the specialized high performance tubes here) the spectrum is fairly narrow, and there's no assurance that all the buyers of tubes directed at the LBS are any more quality conscious than the buyers for Walmart. The problem is that only the original buyer knows which factory he dealt with and what their quality standards are. Once it's in the marketers box, nobody downstream knows for sure.

As someone else mentioned, the OP's problems are probably more related to something he did than to the tube itself.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.