Old 03-22-10, 07:13 AM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
A couple things:
1) I'm surprised you're pleased with the Tektro mechanical discs, especially with you being a bigger guy. I'm running Tektro mechs on my hardtail, and the only reason they're still on is that new brakes aren't in the budget right now. Maybe I got spoiled since my other bike is running Juicys, but they just don't feel like they have a lot of stopping power (or maybe I need to check my setup again). Good they're working out for you though.
2) For a comfy saddle on a budget, check out WTB's saddles. The Rocket V seems to get great reviews, and I've used a Speed V and didn't think it was too bad either.
3) I can tolerate stock grips (usually),
I tried clamping down moderately on both brakes yesterday while @ speed on pavement & almost put the bike up on it's nose. The brakes on this bike work very well @ present. Time may reveal that they do not hold up, but the brakes have more than enough reserve stopping power to haul down my larda$$.

Upon further investigation of the paperwork that came W/the bike I found that the brakes were indeed NOT Tecktro, but Promax DSK-320s.

I have researched parts availability & pads are readily available @ present.

AS far as the seat & grip PIX I promised?

Here is the Serfas Pro-Flo seat I picked up for $29 @ the LBS. Big improvement over the OE seat.

Also, as promised, a shot of the new grips.

I put in 10.2 miles on the bike yesterday W/the new seat/grips & both are a big improvement.

I bought an OE takeoff (new) Fox RP23 online yesterday. It is the proper length & stroke for this bike. I will post up my impressions when I have a chance to ride the bike after the upgrade.

I think that will make a huge improvement allowing me to have a supple rear suspension W/the pro-pedal lock-out to stiffen up the suspension when I have to get on the pedals.

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 03-23-10 at 09:12 AM.