Old 03-22-10, 04:50 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Yesterday was - for the most part for me anyway - the transition from skiing to biking. I cleaned out my locker on the mountain and except for spring break with my daughter in Utah, I'm done. So today I started in earnest on building the base - again for another year. Although many in warmer climates may stay with a cycling program all year and have little or no need to rebuild the base every season, I live where winter really comes with a vengeance.

So this is the critical part of the training program and sets the tone for the rest of the season. If I get this right than within a few months I will be injury free, riding strong and really having a good time. Today it was 30 miles on one of my favorite training routes - no huge climbs, but a few smaller ones to keep it interesting. Today, no HRM, no GPS, no speedometer - the only thing I paid attention to was cadence and pedal stroke. I have not idea how fast I rode, I didn't even bother to check the start or finish time. It felt good to get out and start building up the miles again. Although I have also started my weekday AM training rides, these are short (15 to 18 miles) and full of intervals - but they do little for the endurance and mental training that the base miles do. I am not a believer in LSD miles, so my base miles are done more at a cadence of 80-90 with constant pedal pressure and stroke, if I had to guess my HR is a steady Z3 with a little Z4 on the hills.

Are you building your base now or are you already into hard core cycling?
What I try to do in the off season is get in some riding on the trainer, it may be only 1/2 hour 3 or 4 times a week, so that the legs don't lose everything, so spring base building is just ramping back up. It doesn't always happen, and there is the cusp season (now) when some days you can get out, some you can't.