soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
No, I am serious. Figure out about $30 per bike. Another $10 per bike in gas and tolls. Add about 16 hrs of your time, and these are quickly becoming $75-100 a bike or so (unless you are local; depending on how much you value your time). Even if you are looking to flip them, you'd add a minimum of $25 per bike (plus your time) to bring the to flipable condition. Now we are talking about $125-150 a bike invested. Can you flip them for that? Maybe in NYC or Portland, but I seriously doubt it.

Or to do another calculation (without you time) : $30 a bike to acquire, $10 a bike in gas and tolls, $30 a bike for material. Total cost = $70 a bike. About 4 hrs (and that's a minimum per bike for work/travel/listing/selling time). If you sell each bike for $100 (and that is an optimistic scenario) you time would be worth about $8.50 an hour (and that does not take in account, what the money you spent getting those could be doing for you at that time).

And if you think about finding riders in the pile, you better cherry pick 3-4 nice bikes with the $1200 total acquisition cost. You'd be better off

Any way you look at this, it does not make much sense.

If I was worried about my hobby making sense I would be doing something other than fooling around with old bikes. It's like my sports card collection.... I spent way more than they are worth now ....but one day? Who knows.
I do this for enjoyment.. if it was for profit I'm in the wrong business