Old 03-31-10, 08:15 AM
Paul35121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fix up my old bike, buy a new old bike, or buy a new new bike?

I have a Jamis Explorer that I bought when I was working at a bike shop in the early/mid 80s... I'm guessing it was around 82... funny that I can't remember exactly when it was...

Anyway, in today's bike world this is clearly a hybrid style bike. Everything on it still works, though it needs some TLC now and again. I put Araya quick disconnect wheels on it in the late 80s (well, in the front... I relaced the rear with the original hub to the new rim). Otherwise it's stock including the style of fat tires that came on this "mountain bike" back in those days.

My question... I WANT a hybrid style bike, and I have a couple of hundred dollars to spend. Do I A- get narrower wheels for my current bike (though I need help on something affordable that would fit without having to buy a lot more stuff); B- buy a Trek 720 Hybrid (NOT the touring bike from the early 80s) that is for sale locally; or C- buy an almost new Schwinn Avenue from a guy locally who has upgraded the wheels/tires and put about $100 more into it. I know, I know, Schwinn is blah blah blah... I'll be putting 50 to 100 miles a week AT MOST on a bike over the warm months down here in central Alabama. The Trek is $150 (it shows some rust on the stem... don't see much more in the pics... don't know if it's components are outdated); the Schwinn is $200... the Jamis I already have.

Also... I'm a long legged 6-2... would the Trek fit me? I don't know how many sizes they came in back then...

Thanks for any and all input...