View Single Post
Old 03-31-10, 10:48 AM
rosinante25
wreckrider

Bikes: cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are 50+ guys too old for road bikes?

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading it since i discovered it a few days ago. i recently bought a moto cafe sprint (28 tires) hybrid believing i was just too old (57 yrs-male) to go for the road bike. since then i've been working up to about 100 miles per week averaging about 13.8 mph on mostly flat roads around chicago. I like the moto alot but it was advertised as a flat bar road bike that would be more comfortable than a road bike but faster than a hybrid. after reading the hybrid forum as well i'm having my doubts. my trusty 12 yr old jamis steel hybrid with 38 tires and a rack (my original rosinante) upon whom i just put a cheap computer seems to be just as fast as the much cooler looking moto. also altho i love riding the moto i'm experiencing wrist, upper arm and back pain. so i'm wondering: was i right to believe that i'm too old to have gotten a faster road bike with drop bars (which i can't seem to be able to use when i have tried them)? and is the moto really just a hybrid that can never go faster than well a hybrid? (will switching to 23 tires help??)