Old 04-04-10, 12:15 PM
Zark

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Not trying to start a flame war, but OP sounds a lot like the people I deal with, who buy big-box bikes. I've tried for YEARS to convince them that spending $100-150 on a bike IS NOT a guarantee of ANY quality. I've had some try to demand a bike fresh-built out of the box because there was DUST on the TIRES!

A bike is meant to be used, and will receive scratches as you do so. Also, as you use a NEW bike, shifting and braking will degrade a small amount; it's called "break-in", and IS normal. It's WHY shops offer adjustments as part of the deal -- I do it too, at "my" W-M, just because it gives the hint that returning the bike is NOT the answer to everything.

I will tell you, straight up -- take the bike back to the shop, let them do their voodoo on it, and you'll be happier; a new exchange will simply result in the same problems a few weeks in the future. Chainstay protectors can be use-specific, from the LBS, or an adapted use, such as reflective tape/strips from W-M.

I think most people would appalled to discover how much actual damage is done to their cars' paint just in normal driving; but they still wouldn't expect to exchange the car for it.

Bottom line -- a bike is all about the do-it-yourself, pioneer spirit; that's how you make the bike go! So why be a prima donna about the cosmetics of it?
I didn't pay $100 for the bike but $620--which I know doesn't really make it high end but still a decent amount. At any rate, I didn't take the bike back but got a chainstay protector as suggested on this thread and that seems to do the job. The LBS I got it at suggested bringing all new bikes after 30 days to be tightened up and adjusted so I'll just do that.

As for being a Prima Donna, I certainly don't expect the bike to remain completely scratch free--that's impossible. It's just I didn't realize that the chain striking the frame and chipping the paint was a normal condition a week after purchase--which is why I asked here. I got a solution and I'm happy with it.