Old 04-13-05, 10:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If you've been at it 6 weeks, you've barely begun! I've been cycling seriously for 15 years now. There are good days and there are occasionally some bad days, but the trick is to stick with it!

Many times I've found that even if I really don't feel like going out for a ride, I do anyway and within a few minutes I'm enjoying myself so much I can hardly believe I considered not going out.

Also, you might need to consider doing some things like:

- changing your route. EXPLORE! I've just moved to a new province, and my current goal is to ride every paved road I can find in about a 100 mile radiius (or possibly more!). Where I lived before, there were a grand total of 24 paved roads (out in the country). Here, it seems every other road is paved. Every time I go out I see a new paved road I haven't tried yet, so I make a note of it for next time.

- joining a club. Check for a local cycletouring club with whom you can ride once a week or so.

- setting a goal. Don't set something like, "I want to lose weight and gain fitness" - that has to be one of the worst goals out there because it is so vague. Set a goal like ... "I want to ride a century in September", or "I want to do a 3-day, 100 km/day tour in July" or something very tangible like that. Then you've got something to work toward.

And most importantly, don't forget to go out and have FUN while riding. Riding isn't supposed to be a chore - take a look at the scenery around you, bring a camera to capture it, talk to the cows, do your thinking and dreaming and planning ...