Old 04-07-10, 06:58 PM
CharmCityCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some more newb questions (removing a Trek headbadge, rust, and choosing bar ends)

First of all, thanks to everyone for bearing with me. This is my second post asking what are probably pretty elementary questions to most on this forum, but there is so much to learn/figure out, and I want to get my new (old) bike up and running some time this century. I recently purchased a 1984 Trek 620. I'm going to have it stripped and powder coated as there are a few little rust spots, and I'm not wild about the pewter color.

Question 1:
My lbs already got it down to the frame and fork for me, but they didn't remove the headbadge. I didn't even think to ask about it until I got home. I'm wondering how I can go about removing it before I take it to the powder coat place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Trek glued their headbadges on rather than riveting them. Mine has a few rust spots on it anyway, and I don't feel the need to advertise for Trek, so I don't care overmuch if the headbadge is damaged, but I don't want to hurt the frame. Thus prying it off sounds a little dicey. I'm sure the powder coater could mask it with tape, but I think I'd rather have it off, so the whole frame can be coated. What should I do?

Question 2:
I noticed a wee bit of rust (or maybe it's just gunk, it's hard to tell) inside the top tube where it joins the headtube. The rust spots on the outside of the frame will be taken care of by the powder coater, but what, if anything, should I do about the inside?

Question 3:
I want to swap the downtube shifters out for bar ends. But the lbs only has indexed bar ends, and with everything else I'm doing, I can't afford to swap out the rear derailleur right now. I looked on ebay, but I really don't know what to look for when it comes to the old Suntour barcons. There seem to be a variety of them, and of course in all different conditions (of which I am not yet really qualified to judge). Rivendell sells some friction shifting bar ends, but they themselves state that they have a plastic part which is prone to breakage. Their website downplays that fact, but if I'm going to drop over 90 bucks with shipping, on a new part, some assurance of reliability would be nice. I may still go that way in the end, because at least I will know what I am getting (and they say it comes with everything necessary), but if there is some better option, I would love to know about it.

Thanks as always. This forum is a great resource, and the folks here on the C&V part seem to be among the most helpful.