Old 04-08-10, 02:31 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lower gearing means more pedal revolutions to travel the same distance. On the front set of gears (chainrings), lower gear = fewer teeth. On the rear gears, more teeth=lower gear. Lower gearing is better for hill climbing... just like in a car.

Modern day bar ends shifters are indexed (i.e., they click), at least generally they do for the rear at least. They have the advantage of being able to operate in friction mode ("old school") if need be in a pinch. A lot of touring officianados like bar ends for their simplicity and ease of repair. STI gear shifts are a little tricky to install, adjust, etc., from what I understand.

FWIW, I have heard of a lot more people who are looking for a true touring bike opting for the LHT.

As CliftonGK1 pointed out, though, a lot of it just boils down to preferences. I'd suggest trying to test ride both of them and see which feels better... and look closely at which looks better in your eyes, too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My eye likes the LHT more, but that's just me...