Old 04-08-10, 04:52 PM
xcarbonmadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot_Damn,
I just picked up my new bike yesterday, actually. I ended up going with the Raleigh Alley Way. I had Nitto racks mounted front and rear. It just felt and looked right to me and seemed to have the most features for the price, including a front dynamo. I really liked the Live 3 (didn't try a 2 because I knew I didn't want the Nexus and it didn't have the belt drive or disc brakes). I felt like the Live 3 had the best stopping power. I ended up not going with it because the ride felt a little harsh to me and I figured I was better off with a nice steel frame instead of aluminum. I already have a aluminum framed Trek 8500 and I also don't like the ride on that either. I feel like my current weight and aluminum don't mix right now for the kind of ride I can feel good on. That being said, I could have been happy walking out the door with it had I not tried the Raleigh.

I did also ride the Loring, and between it, the Live 3, and the Superbe Roadster, I had decided it was going to be my next bike. This bike feels great, there's so much attention to detail, and it is gorgeous! Love the racks and I really liked the SRAM iMotion 9. As you've probably read, it's not as smooth as the Alfine, but at that point, it's like saying a BMW isn't as smooth as a Mercedes. I think both are great from my test rides...no long term experience with either. In fact, I sort of liked the i-Motion a little better for the gear spacing and extra gear...but shifting the Alfine was more intuitive with the trigger, instead of twist grip. The Loring feels like a more leisurely bike though, more like something I want to use on the weekend for pleasure rides and going downtown for coffee, running errands, farmer's market, etc. The Alley Way felt a bit more sporty...dare I say, like a British roadster :-), and the belt drive won me over for maintenance on a commuter plus the extra features though I know I had to add the racks. It was really close between the Loring and Alley Way. Ride both and see how you feel. I actually think I'm going to go and get the Loring too and try to get my partner into riding with me :-).

Since I hadn't planned on actually purchasing that day, I had walked into the bike shop after some shopping and a doctor's appointment. Since I was on public transportation, I didn't have time to take everything home and come back either, so my first ride back home had a little over 15lbs in the front rack and another 25lbs or so in the rear. Bike handled great. I did opt to walk up some steeper hills instead of straining the bike and myself and I did take a few breaks. I am not in very good shape but I'm motivated to change all that. Now I need to learn about removing that real wheel in case I end up needing to someday.

Best of luck, and I think you'll be happy with any of those bikes. I'd love to hear about what you end up choosing too. Oh, and the EcoVelo blog (google it) has some nice write-ups about both the Loring and the Alley Way. They also have the new Civia Bryant written up as well as the Hyland.

All the best,
Nico