View Single Post
Old 04-08-10, 11:30 PM
bjoerges
LBS Employee/Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Soho, 2010 Gary Fisher Monona w/ Xtracycle FreeRadical, 198X Facet BioTour 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say the following as someone who has several years of experience working at a bike shop as both salesperson and as a wrench. (Full disclosure, currently working at a Trek dealer)

Spending a bit more on the front end will save you a lot of time, money, hassle, frustration, disappointment, and problems later on.

LBSs regularly see bike from Target, WalMart, Toys R Us, etc that are less than a month old and in dire need of repair because they were never set up properly before being sold. A basic tune-up at my shop runs about $60. Even after being tuned by a very experienced mechanic, it still won't run great because the parts are of such poor quality that things don't (can't) move into place properly.

So now you've saved $150 versus a quality bike then spent $60 to get it sort of working right, have little to no warranty, probably still need the wheels straightened and new brake pads so that you can stop in the rain...

I hope you see my point. If you're stuck at $200 for your price point, I would say search the used market for a decent quality bike rather than spend $200 on "new"