Old 04-09-10, 03:02 AM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
. . .
Do you put the sealant into the tire and run with it in there all the time like slime?
Yes, with periodic top-ups about every six months else it dries out and is not there when you need it.

QUOTE=cranky old dude;10618681]. . .
Can it foul your pump? . . . If not, carrying a tube with me seems a lot easier than carrying a tire repair kit or can of sealant.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, you spin the valve to the top and 'burp' it [as usual] prior to adding air. Yes, tubes are best for on-the-road repairs. In addition, you need a way to set the bead. . .usually high-volume air pump or CO2. . .tubes are best IF the goo fails to fill the puncture.

Are they too stiff for my arthritic hands?
[/QUOTE]

Yes. . .quite!!! I [literally] feel your pain. A small tube of KY is now part of my kit. . .remarkable stuff! Also, breaking a bead that has been 'glued' to the rim can be a problem for our hands. [Also, my tubeless 'kit' also includes a small pile of paper towels to wipe away excess goo prior to putting in a temporary tube.]

How does one form a seal on a tubeles bicycle tire? . . . Can it be easily done out on the road if I'm running low and loose my seal at the bead for instance?
[/QUOTE]

No, it's a cast-iron b****. See 'setting the bead' above.

How difficult is it to replace those small valve stems if one starts to leak?
[/QUOTE]

Easy. . .they're, of course, separate parts and slip in and out with tight friction. . .see 'arthritis' above.

I gotta' say, I'm not sold on 'em, but am more at ease every day. IMHO, they're only worth the considerable hassle if they reduce on-the-road flats. My personal doctrine is to fix on-the-road flats with a tube and go back to tubeless at home.