View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
He was at this stop line and you were coming from his right on the trail?
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=k&...62.29,,0,27.04

I would have stopped.

75ft is 'cut-off' ???
I was coming from the driver's left, but otherwise, that's what happened. I don't know, it may have been 50 feet ... I didn't have a ruler at the time. It was about two seconds ahead of me on the trail. In hind sight, 75 seemed like an appropriate number, but it's a guess.

Originally Posted by genec
Well, the situation is that a minor road always gives way to a major road... and I'd call the bike trail pretty minor to that much wider road. I really don't think the stop line is there to give you ROW... so I wouldn't depend on it.
I thought about that, and it's a valid interpretation. I don't think it's the right one, but I'm not sure, and that's why I'm asking. Shouldn't the fact that the 'roads' cross at 90 degrees, and the fact that the driver had a stop sign and I didn't, adds up to trail users having the right of way. Am I really that off in my thinking.

When I see a car on one of these side roads in the future ( which isn't that often ) I'll probably slow down a bit more and prepare to stop, if necessary, regardless. Traffic law takes a back seat to the laws of physics...