View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 01:48 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I used to really like Colnago for putting out nice "no nonsense" bikes in the early 80's. My friend raced a very plain looking red NR equipped Colnago back then and it gave me the impression of a true "warhorse" that easily brushed off the crashes and bumping around that happens in the criteriums he competed in. The the mid 80's and 90's came and Colnago started making these elaborate "peacocks" with a lot of chroming, pantographing, fancy schmanzy air brushed looking painjtjobs and all sorts of fluted tubing profiles. My image of Colnago changed into that of more of a "boutique" bike maker and not the every racing man's choice it had been before. I still remember seeing a guy everyday when I went for my 25 mile morning rides, and he was always seated every morning in summer on this park bench staring at his Colnago Arabesque and he was always still there when I got back towards the end my ride loop, still staring at his golden bike. This went on for quite a few summers........I got to think if Colnago would rather have their customers fawn and stare at their "peacocks" instead of training on or racing them. Kinda left a strange feeling on the brand for me and struck off Colnago from my dream bike list from then on....that's why I like 3 Rensho so much better than Colnago these days. 3 Renshos are kinda like the way Colnago was for me but kept the same no nonesense approach on their bikes through the years........although they are hard to find these days
JMOs

Chombi