Thread: Door Prize!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-05, 12:42 PM
ajay677

Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Sorry, I didn't mean it as in insult my apologies.

But I will quote the HTA where it says it is illegal to do so. (Passing right, lane splitting, whatever)

150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

In stopped traffic, unless everyone in front of you is about to make a left, you are not allowed to pass said vehicles.

Here's the source I quoted from. http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes...0h08_e.htm#TOC

So bottomline is in most cases on your bike you are committing and offense if you pass stopped traffic. Whether they enforce it or not is a different matter.
The section of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act you quote refers to "motor vehicles" specifically. A bicycle is not a motor vehicle, according to the Act but is referred to as a "vehicle" or as a "bicycle". The argument could be made that since section 150 refers to motor vehicles, it does not apply to bicycles. Section 1 of the Highway Traffic Act will give you all the definitions of the above terms.

That said, common sense would dictate proceeding with caution at a reasonable speed when moving on the right of cars.