Old 04-11-10, 06:20 AM
KrisA

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pashley1..JPGPashley2..JPGPashley3..jpg

I brought back, to Canada, from England, one British 5 speed. It's a Pashley Roadster 26 Sovereign. Made in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, in the same fashion they've been doing things for 85 years. I've a big basket on the way for the rear, thinking of a handlebar one as well for extra carrying capacity.

I road it to and from work yesterday, and despite some horrid conditions (100kph winds!), I had a ball! Siting bolt upright totally changes your perspective on the areas you ride though. It's also nice in that it likely makes you more visible as you tower (as towering as you get when you're 5'5"!) over the traffic. The ride is so smooth and relaxed, I love it. I've been grinning like a fool for every km I've traveled on it!

So far the only down sides are the drum brakes which definitely don't stop anywhere nearly as quickly as what I've got accustomed to, which is fine as the bike certainly doesn't go as fast as my others. Also the Sturmy-Archer 5 speed hub is not nearly as smooth shifting as Nexus hubs I've tried and the gear change lever is low quality plastic.

Those two niggles aside I love this bike! Makes me dream of what riding bikes like this in great cycling centers like Copenhagen or Amsterdam must be like.