Old 04-12-10, 09:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
The road bike may well have a lighter frame which is absorbing the shocks and vibrations better.
Road bikes are often "stiff", which means they would be less capable of absorbing shocks. "Vibrations" are a different thing.

Most of the "shock absorption" is done by the rider, most of the rest is done by the tires. (Ignoring bikes with shocks.)

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Riding in the drops is what I find comfortable.. When ever I ride our city bike with upright handlebars is when I feel pressure on the hands and an eventual numbness. Are their guides to the correct position on city bikes.. My elbows are 90 degrees perpendicular to the handlebars. I'd think that the best position to minimize pressure points on one's hands.?
If your posture is upright, then there should be very little weight on your hands on the "city" bike.

Originally Posted by daven1986
The reach and bar height is very similar on both bikes - I set the hybrid up to match the road bike. Both bikes have a CF seatpost, both have alu bars. The tyres seem to have supple side walls on both bikes, but I guess the road bike ones are a little more supple - however they are specialized armadillos which are generally pretty rigid.
Tires without any air are pretty floppy. It's the pressure in the tire that really provides rigidity.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-12-10 at 09:39 AM.