Thread: Kent Tandem
View Single Post
Old 04-13-10, 06:51 AM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
Are you finding these on something like craigslist? Although a tandem that is a few hours drive from me might present a problem. I'm waiting until I sell my truck to get a tandem. Not sure about getting one home from that distance in a minivan.
Craigslist essentially. I used crazedlist which aggregates Craigslist, letting me choose cities. I clicked on Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Erie, and Cleveland. Came up with (I think) four hits, one of which was a Burley, and another was the Quatrefoil that used to have the 700D (yes, 'D', not a typo) wheels, but now has 26 inch wheels. As for getting it home in a minivan, we brought our rather large Bilenky home in the back of our Prius, by taking off both wheels. I've got to believe a minivan is easier than a Prius to fit a bike into.

They say that for a new tandem you'll be happy with, you ought to figure a bit over 2x the cost of a new single "like" the one you're riding now. So the Kent might work for you, but based on this rule of thumb, you would probably be better off with something in the 500-750 range, which doesn't exist. Hence the suggestion to look into used. But if these used bikes don't fit, they're just more money badly spent. I don't know where you'll find detailed geometry on the Kent to figure out whether it can be made to fit both of your stokers.

Last edited by WebsterBikeMan; 04-13-10 at 06:56 AM. Reason: More info