Old 04-13-10, 07:17 PM
Torrilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My basic take is drivers who yell at me are a "do not engage". It's about on par with the vehicle being plastered with bumper stickers as a danger sign.

I find the shared lanes in Madison work pretty well. But... they're largely just wide enough for bikes. And the Madison Metro drivers that I've interacted with on the road have been uniformly awesome. In 3 years, I have had one mildly scary incident, and dozens of bus drivers passing with great care, or playing tail for me so no one can pass me unsafely. I think without the bus drivers, our shared lanes would not work at all.

In a situation where the other person feels justified in playing chicken with a lethal weapon, there isn't really a way to win. At that point, you're playing "how do I not lose?"

(as far as best bike city in America... there are no cities in the US with a bike mode share of 20% or higher, and a bike fatality rate of 1 per year or less. ditto for pedestrians and pedestrian fatalities. until there are such cities, lists proclaiming "best bike city" should be viewed as "well, you might not get run over here")