Old 04-13-10, 11:18 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Just moved over...

Do you feel like you won? I have won a lot of those fights, but the thing is you can't win for losing. After you say your peice, if you want to say something, just move over.
I've replayed the whole thing in my head a few times and it's possible that moving could have yielded a positive outcome. Her original tone didn't strike me as very friendly but wasn't overtly hostile either. If I had moved she might have verbally thanked me, nodded or otherwise acknowledged my gesture.

It's also quite possible she would have drove off muttering "damn bikers" under her breath and I would been kicking myself for acquiescing to a person who was clearly in the wrong. There's no way for me to know.

Aside from the bad vibe I got from her right from the start, there really wasn't a good place for me to move to. If I had moved to the right up against the parked SUV (like she expected), she would have had enough room to go by, but just barely. Much less room than I would find comfortable. I could have also scooted forward into the crosswalk and moved in front of the parked SUV. Not really a dangerous thing, but I don't belong in the crosswalk either. Finally, I could have unclipped my foot, gotten off the bike and walked it back behind the SUV. Planting myself behind a parked vehicle didn't seem like such a hot idea.

Now I'm sure to some drivers it may not seem unreasonable for a cyclist to take one of those options. It certainly wouldn't have killed me. However, I got the distinct impression that she wouldn't have interpreted my moving as an act of kindness or doing her any kind of favor but rather as something I "should" do. So, my stubborn side kicked in. Maybe it was just a power trip.

Last edited by tjspiel; 04-13-10 at 11:22 PM.