View Single Post
Old 04-18-10, 05:47 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't like announcing my impending overtake. I prefer to just pass with as much lateral distance as possible, such as moving to the middle of the traffic lane.

We were having a small team endurance ride a week ago (three of us) and were in a tailwind section, hence going rather fast for the low power required. I mentioned to the lead rider that were were probably going to scare the heck out of the kid ahead of us, due to the speed difference.

So when we got closer to the kid, lead rider says "on your left" or some variation thereof, and the kid turns to look, and veers left into our path. I estimate the speed differential to be somewhere around 14 mph so we had a very short time to react. No contact, fortunately.

I suggested to lead rider: next time, just swing out wide and silently blow by him before he has time to react. If he's going to take someone out, let it be only himself.

this all happened on a state route 2-lane with large shoulders. I wouldn't even consider it on an MUP. MUPs are not for training.

Last edited by Grumpy McTrumpy; 04-18-10 at 05:50 AM.