Thread: Door Prize!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-05, 12:06 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
This is a common newb view. Any commuter or messenger worth his salt will tell you that it's safest to approach cars stopped by lane splitting, not by eeking it out on the right side of all the cars. This is where people tend to get out of their cars and is actually more dangerous.
Operator, I do exactly what you do. In fact, I did it this morning only I went through the light and merged right with traffic after the light (I signaled and had plenty of space). Then this guy who was about 10 cars behind the spot in line where I re-merged to the right blew by me honking and swerved right in front of me trying to scare me. Apparently, he shares the view that my actions were not OK. Personally, I don't give a rip as long as I don't get a ticket. If our city wants to press it, and laws are more strictly enforced, that would likely also serve to afford cyclists more car-like rights such as merging left into traffic to turn left. So until I have every right behave like a car to get what I need, screw them, I will take it anyway I can. It is one way or the other folks, either we have rights and responsibilities, or we don't. But I refuse to have responsibilities without rights.