Old 04-19-10, 10:49 AM
esammuli
Glimmers of form

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suffered like hell yesterday at Vleeshuis Ronde road race in Bakersfield. The course was named after an old abandoned slaughterhouse along the course...and man it was a slaughter. We did 3X30 mile laps w/ ~2300ft of climbing per lap. It was 3 miles of flat to start then a solid 15 minute climb followed by 5 big rollers with no rest in between. After a few miles of descending there was 3 miles of flat followed by an 800m kick up to the finish line.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/59036

It felt like there was nowhere to rest. The descents weren't long enough to get much recovery and a few guys were driving the pace on all the climbs. Once we hit the flats it was a constant series of attacks. I marked a few moves on the second lap and beginning of the third but got popped on the final time up the main climb. By that point the pack was down to 15 from ~50 at the start. I spent the last hour riding tempo by myself and ended up finishing 14th. After I got popped the pack split into multiple groups and I don't think any group came to the line with more than 3 people. Absolutely brutal.