View Single Post
Old 04-20-10, 11:37 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I wouldn't bother with those. Once you experience the benefits of riding clipless, its hard to go back. I've been riding clipless for awhile, but recently, I made the mistake of buying a pair of the Shimano clipless/platform combo pedals for my touring/utility (long haul trucker) bike, thinking that I might occasionally use the platform side, but one try on the platform side was enough to convince how much riding platforms suck in comparison to clipless.

To the OP...if you really think you'll be doing a lot of walking in your bike shoes, get yourself a pair of crank brothers pedals. CB cleats are very small and fit far inside the tread of any MTB shoe, and thus, do not scrape on the ground as you walk. Shimano SPD cleats are larger and a pit more prone to peak out beyond the tread a bit and grate on the ground as you walk.
The OP is riding to work and class. Presumably he doesn't want to wear bike shoes all day at work or in school. But he wants the benefit of clipless on longer rides where's he's not commuting.

The campus pedals are the perfect solution for this (hence the name Campus) My daughter raced juniors with those pedals, and was still able to ride to the friend's house down the street in flip flops.

And I've seen a numbe of people use them in fast group rides with no ill effect.

IMHO, about the best answer you're going to find if you want to commute in street clothes, and do longer rides in bike shoes on the same bike, and don't want to be bothered changing pedals.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.