supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boots
Let me get this completely clear (as I said, I'm a complete noob):

If I wanted to bike cross-country on a red, federal highway (not an interstate) I could do it with few problems?
There's really no way to give a yes or no answer to that. Highway conditions vary considerably. Some highways may have considerable traffic. I know that some federal highways have wide shoulders, but some may not. I suggest getting a map of your state and go check some out to get an idea if you would like to ride on them.

In Texas, there are several classes of highways. There are federal highways, state highways, and farm to Market (or Ranch to Market) roads. Of these, Farm to Market roads are often the nicest roads to ride because they are usually well maintained and have lower traffic densities (not always). But they usually do not have shoulders. State and federal highways more often have shoulders, but also have higher traffic densities.

If you are planning a cross country trip, consider using one of the Adventure Cycling cross country routes. Check www.adventurecycling.org. They research and publish excellent maps and have been doing so since 1976.

You can also check various state transportation websites for state cycling maps and routes. The availability varies greatly from state to state, but is worth a look.