Old 04-15-05, 11:12 PM
rlong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
We go back a ways on tandems.
In early 80s we test rode a C'dale prototype (of 2 built) for 3 months; that was 2 years before production started.
It was a bit radical idea then: humongous (for that time) tubes made from heat treated aluminum.
That was before shock absorbing seatpost came back in vogue, and stoker found the ride a bit on the harsh side.
If ride is too harsh on whatever you are riding, either sprung saddles or shock absorbing seatpost or c/f or ti beam will alleviate the probem.
However, having said that, stoker Kay has never had shock absorbing anything on our personal tandems. Tough little lady!
Have ridden steel, alu, ti ( 'Tana, Serotta) and carbon fiber tandems (Calfee and ariZonaTandems).
Our money (and our butts!) bet on carbon fiber!

Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/Zonatandem
Thanks to everyone for your coments and suggestions. As always I suppose we just have to get out there and ride a few before we will be able to make decision. I assumed that the comparison between ride characteristics of single alum and tandem alum might be different, that was the reason for my question. Then there is the fact that different alum tube designs (wall thickness and dia.)produce different rides as well. All the major builders (Santana, Burley,Trek, Cannondale) use their own brand of aluminum tubing, so it must be appealing enough to buyers.