View Single Post
Old 04-21-10, 09:35 PM
rosborn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeemed07
I'm not considering replacing parts, I'm considering buying a bike better suited for me. This bike was really just to see if I would enjoy it and stick with it. The grip-shifters are broken but functioning somewhat and will need to be replaced *if* I don't buy a new bike. The discussion of groupo began with a comment on the bike I posted as an option. Rosborn mentioned the Acera groupo on the Kona could be a weak spot. If/when it bit the dust I'd like to know what it should be replaced with. I'm not going to fix what ain't broke (bad grammar hurt me but to say that any other way is just wrong!).
Exactly. My 18 year old son 6' 3" and 205 pounds, blew out two Acera drivetrains. We finally had the last one replaced with a Deore drivetrain and haven't had a problem since. I can guarentee that he didn't put as much torque on the drivetrain as you will be. My mountain bike has a Deore drive train. I rode with him and witnessed how he rode his bike. Acera components are garbage components for adults. They may work fine for teenage kids but they just aren't durable enough for stronger riders - hence the fact that Acera are put on low end mountain bikes that are geared for the entry level rider. The fact that Shimano doesn't even have this groupo on their website should speak volumes.