Old 04-21-10, 09:58 PM
mthayer

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this discussion with a wise mechanic one day while I was looking at touring bikes. The advantages that cantilever or side pull brakes have over disc is the simplicity of them. They are easier to fix in a bind over the disc brakes. The pads for cantis or for rim brakes can be found just about everywhere bike stuff is sold. The disc brake pads are not really distributed everywhere other than bike shops. The disc breaks work better though in the rain and wet weather, but how often are you going to really be riding in the rain and wet weather.
Thats the way he broke it down for me and it makes sense for me. I was looking at the Raleigh, when I had the above conversation with the mechanic. Its a nice bike but it was a bit out of my price range at that current time. I wouldnt worry too much about the wheels. I weigh 255 +/-, and I have Mavic A319 on my randonee. I loaded the bike down with 40 pounds of gear plus me and the weight of the bike. I didn't have any problems with it. Never heard a creak, pop, nothing. You should be fine with any stock double walled rim. Get a 36 hole rim preferably and youll be fine.

Last edited by mthayer; 04-21-10 at 10:12 PM.