Old 04-18-05, 04:22 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamy
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I currently ride a road bike with highest 52/11, tend to pedal with fairly low cadence in a high gear, and treat each training ride like a race due to my competitive nature, all of which I am currently in the process of trying to change. I also took a bike for a test ride this weekend, and rode it up the steepest hill I could find. Even then, 30/32 seemed ridicuously low and the thought went through my mind " surely I can't ever need something this low"

however...

I cannot argue against people who know and have experienced a lot more than me, and the overwhelmign weight of public opinion, so will be going for the lower gearing and am sure I won't regret it....
Whatever bike out of the two on the short list, take it out for a jaunt through the Blue Mountains and tackle some serious hills. Not one. Not two. But as many as you can squeeze in for, say, six hours. Then come back and report. Oh yeah, fill six four-litre wine casks with water, put 'em in a pair of panniers BEFORE you go (or get them from the local bottleshop -- you might need the pain-deadening effect afterwards ).

I like the way your prepared to accept the advice. Honestly!

I can tell you from experience, there will be a time come when you are s-o-o-o-o grateful for the that granny gear. I might use it 5% of all my riding, but it's a god-send when I do. Just a question: How often do you use first gear (auto or manual) in your car? How often would it be used towing a 21" caravan going up a reasonably steep hill, or even just starting off? Remember, your bike will be the caravan/motor home, and you the engine. Treat yourself the same as your car engine...

I still think you are strong enough for a 26 or 28 front granny ring and a 34 rear cog. BUT, riding day after day with a load at low cadence is asking for knee trouble. It will start with a kind of general throbbing around the base of the quads and around the kneecap. It can affect your sleeping comfort, and may progress into something else. Bike fit can help a lot to overcome this, but as one of my colleague posters observed, try to get into a spinning habit sooner rather than later.

Sounds as though you are close to a decision

GO FOR IT!!!