chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
It's an Internet forum. Half the fun is in the debates.

I do agree that coming to this forum could give people the impression that commuting is far more complicated than it really is. It's like riding your bike anyplace else except that you're at work once you get there.

I also think that posters sometimes forget that there are many ways to skin a cat.

As it so happens, my wife and I are in a discussion over getting our son a new bike. His last bike was from craigslist and a very good bike at an excellent price. However, it was a tad too big for him when we got it and I think for awhile it caused him to loose some interest in biking. He also wants to be involved in picking this next one out. With craigslist, you've got to be very patient or very lucky. There's no showroom and no catalog you can order from.

Even if you go to REI you're talking about $200 - $300 for a bike in his size. That's pretty steep for us considering he'll need another one in a few years.
Just went through that with our granddaughter. She's outgrowing the 16" wally world bike we got her last year...so I got her a new 18" bike that she can keep and ride here and still use the old one at home for the rest of this year (maybe). But of course I gotta be loyal to my LBS, so I buy her a Raleigh Jazzi for 200 bucks instead of another $70 wally world bike.

But f it, unlike our kids, our grand kids are for spoiling.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey