View Single Post
Old 05-04-10, 07:58 AM
bigskyTi

Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I've got about 1500km in the saddle thus far on the C1. I think the best way to describe my experience with this bike is that my Archon T1 is in the basement with no brakes, no wheels, no pedals and no miles on it since the C1 arrived.

I've ridden the C1 in the rain, in the cold, on some hills, on the flats, on rough roads, smooth roads, and super windy pulls along the lake.

I've been super impressed with the bike as I never come home feeling beat up or that the bike is too harsh, even after some high speed runs on rough roads. The bike never feels sluggish and corners extemely well now that the street cleaners have been out. I'm still a bit wary to test the limits of the cornering, but it will certainly go where you point it.

I've got the position dialed in and swapped over my light pedals, the Gravitas brakes, and now run multiple wheelsets. The changes dropped the weight down and I'd almost forgotton how much better the Gravitas are than the old Negetive G's I was originally running. I finally figured out how to get the expander plug to work and get the HS preload right -this was probably user error on my part, but in fairness there were no directions and this was the first time I'd seen this setup.
The only complaint i have is the BB creaking. (I'm sure it is the BB as I've checked and or replaced everything else). Now the BB30 pressfit bearings are the only component I did not personally install, since I was hoping not to buy a $50 tool for a single time use, so i can't say for 100% certain that the bearings were installed to their full depth, but they were greased and pressed properly. This is an annoying little thing that happens some days and not others and will come and go on a ride. I think it may have something to do with the temperature change and the steel races expanding differently than the Al BB. In any case, this does not appear to be limited to my experience as I've read many posts here and elsewhere of BB30s developing creaks and clicks (usually after riding in the rain/mud which I have done both). The fix is simple as you just remove and reinstall using a retaining compound. The only reason it has not been done is the retaining compound I chose is a bit hard to come by (Loctite 641) it is medium strength and designed for removeable parts. FSA used to ship it with ther BB30's but stopped for some reason. Anyway, word on the street is that this is the fix.

The only other thing I can really say is I get stared at a lot. I rode past a group of guys riding Cervelo S3, R3, Tarmacs etc and everyone commented on how great the bike looks. Most were shocked it said LITESPEED on the massive downtube, but the classic black on white is a home run in the opinion of most.

A parting shot of the perfect pairing Ciamillo Gravitas on the Litespeed Archon C1 (sorry the bike is so dirty, she's not a pagent queen)