Old 05-04-10, 08:11 AM
Jazzisjazz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help - flat fix or new tubes

Howdy All,

Seems I flatted two tires riding fast over large gravel a few days ago.

I think I compressed the tire/tube so hard that the tubes were pinched between the rocks and the rims.

Tire 1 - cuts are 3/8 of an inch long, parallel to the rim channel and about 1/2 in apart

Tire 2 - cuts are pencil tip size, circular, parallel to the rim channel and about 1/2 in apart

These tubes I'm guessing are really inexspensive kenda/china so I'm wondering if its ok to use a larger patch to cover both punctures at once or just go ahead and get new tubes?

Assuming proper inflation would better tubes make for fewer flats, or should I look into heaver duty tires? ( Not really intending to repeat this mistake though. )

I also bent the rear rim enough so that the brake pads on one side rub slightly once around.

I think i could make the rim wall flat again with a pair of vice grips and something to protect the outer rim wall when I clamp down. I think neither rim has a wobble ( fortunately - I looked at wheelset prices and that would be half what i paid for the whole bike ).

So should I expect to be able to fix this rim myself or does it need to go into a shop where they would have better tools and could check trueness?

Any help appreciated.