View Single Post
Old 05-05-10, 11:40 AM
retroman57 

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Pictures now post to my Flickr photostream.
The set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fiveand...7623995034480/

Umbert Testi, Bologna, Italy
ca.1947-53
Testi was founded in 1933 as a bicycle dealer, and established as a manufacturer of racing bicycles in 1936.
The Testi factory mounted its own racing team, and won honors in the Campione del Mondo in 1947.
Headbadge is inscribed with "Campione del Mondo 1947" which places the vintage at '47 or later.
Serial number stamped on the seat lug appears to be 6522.

Testi introduced their first moped in 1951 (see Daniel Rebour illustration), and went on to be known for their light motorcycles.
In the '70's(?), Testi collaborated with Cycles Gitane with the "French Gypsy"- exported to France and co-branded Gitane-Testi.

I initially assumed that this bicycle was a racing bike repurposed as a "gentleman". Now I'm not so sure.
If it is a later re-paint, someone went to some considerable trouble with the box lining which is fairly intricate and matches on chaincase, fenders, and frame.

Front and rear QR are ring type- I assume the dog-bone type were earlier- ring type illustrated in 1953 Campagnolo catalog.
In my rush to complete the photographs before the light changed, I neglected to shoot the pie plate but I have it, and it is in top condition.
At some point, I'll shoot it, and add it to the Flickr set.
I also have the 3 cog freewheel- no longer tight.
I didn't photograph the stem/handlebar/brake levers as I want to keep them, but if anyone is interested I can make some pictures.

Items of condition which may affect value:
A dozen or so small chips in the paintwork
Chrome on driveside seat stay has been painted over with black- not sure why, or what the paint may be hiding.
2 small spots of brazing on the left front fork tip
Small lever on the rear mech appears to have been re-chromed. Some loss of plating at the upper bend.

Thanks for your interest.
Retroman57