dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Bikes: Giant Iguana 650 utility bike, Surly LHT, Trek TopFuel 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking Across Bridges

My commute to work requires me to cross one of two bridges. One -the Wright Memorial Bridge - is three miles long, two lanes, no shoulder, low guard rail. Generally light traffic, with people mostly obeying the 55 mph speed limit. Bridge two -Virginia Dare Bridge- is 5 miles long, divided 4 lanes, wider shoulder (full of dead birds, glass and trash), with lots speeder (>80 mph) and lots of out of towners. Both bridges have a cut-out at the top of the span where I can rest and take in the scenery without any danger of being hit. Both routes get me to work in about the same distance, but the route across the Wright Bridge has less traffic and intersections the entire way.

My question is: How many other people have long bridge experience? If I get a flat, should I fix it there, or try to walk off? When people find out I bike across the bridges (I do both of them depending on my mood) they think I'm crazy. I wouldn't give it up though, crossing three miles of water at sunrise is one of the best parts of my day.