Training

Bikes: 2015 Focus Mares CX, 2008 Cannondale Supersix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ravensdale Road Race - Mens Cat 5
Ravensdale, WA

The course was a 9-10 mile loop, which we did 4 times. Most of it was rollers, but there was a good little stair-step climb (probably 150-200 feet, maybe more) just before the finish. This was my third race, and it went much better than the previous two. Having learned my lesson at my previous road race where I got dropped by the leaders on the first climb because I was too far back in the pack, I made sure to stay at the front this time. In fact, I led the group up the climb. After getting over the hill, the pace on the rest of the first lap was pretty easy. Thinking ahead for the climb on the second lap I moved up to the front of the pack with about a mile to go on the lap and the next thing I knew I was attacking off the front. Not sure what got into me. Must be all the BFers that have said if you are on the front -- ATTACK!!!! So, I did. It was fun opening up a 50-100 yard gap on the field in a matter of moments and being alone up by the lead car. After about 20-30 seconds another rider bridged up and suggested we pace line. I knew I didn't have the stamina for that and that the field would chase us down, so I told him no and waited for the pack to catch up, which it did less than a minute later. We then hit the climb MUCH HARDER than the first time and I started regretting my foray off the front, but I held on over the climb and continued to hang on for dear life at the very tail end of the pack for a couple of miles of rollers. Several guys dropped off but I dug really deep into my pain cave and managed to hang on and then recover. From there on out I stayed in the shelter of the pack and felt really good right to the end. On the final climb to the finish line I held on pretty well and ended up coming in somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not sure what my placing was. Overall, a fun experience and very encouraging. And I learned a ton.

One sketchy part of the race -- we were out in the middle of no where, but for some reason a few families with kids (probably in the 9-12 years old range) decided to go for a ride on their hybrid bikes on the race course during the race. And there was no shoulder for them to ride. And the yellow line rule was in effect. Lots of yelling in the pack to squish over to the left before we ran them over.

Last edited by Issaquatch; 05-08-10 at 08:50 PM.