Old 05-13-10, 08:56 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by interested
I am not talking about writing papers in general, but writing a specific one that supports your view against Brandt (and others), which I believe you haven't actually done (or else, a citation would be nice).

The subject seems to generate controversies, and bicycle wheels are both very common and old seen as an invention, so I don't doubt that an academic journal would accept a paper that could settle this old question of whether a hub hangs or stands on the spokes.

--
Regards
My contention is, that point does not need to be proven. It is adequate to have a model that predicts that the hub is in equilibrium (sum of the forces acting on the hub equals zero) when it is loaded and when it is not loaded, and that stands up to some physical verification. We have that. The rest is not necessary as science, at least to explain why hubs don't fall down and why wheels are so strong.