Old 05-14-10, 01:31 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
There is no stabilizing strap and that's my biggest complaint because it has a tendancy to slide around. It wasn't advertised as waterproof but it did claim to be weatherproof. I find the cordura fabric sucks up water like a sponge and while it doesn't soak the contents it certainly dampens them. I think it cost me about $110 US six or so years ago. I don't use it while cycling any longer but it is excellent for regular use off the bike or shoved into my bike basket. The thing wears like iron and shows absolutely no wear and tear. If I could add a stabilizing strap I'd absolutely wear it cycling.
Same experience with my Courierware. I added a second strap by unthreading one of the lid clips,sliding on a plastic D ring,and then rethreading the clip. Then I just used a Timbuk2 strap clipped to the D ring. For rain,I ran a bead of seam sealer down the flap seam(WTF would they put a seam there?) and about twice a year I hose the outside down with Kiwi Camp Dry. This works for light rain,but if I'm going to ride in a downpour I'll use another bag. The CW liner isn't even close to T2/Chrome/Baileywork's;I've actually gotten things in my bag damp from sweating through the bag. It's held up really well,has lots of pockets,and is the perfect size for my daily commuting,but I'd never buy another one unless they ditched the top seam and upgraded the liner. None of my other bags have ever leaked,no matter how bad the rain.

I've got a Baileyworks Pro med and a monster Chrome. They both work well on the bike,but the straps aren't made for walking around. I prefer the Bailey design because of the extra pockets,the lighter buckle and liner,and the fact that I can switch the strap to my right shoulder(how I wear my bags) without having to special/custom order the bag. I've also got a couple sizes of T2's;they work well both on and off the bike with one caveat;square-edged items(hardback books,boxes) are uncomfortable to carry because the strap design keeps them from riding flat on your back.

If you're going to spend almost all your time on the bike,I'd vote Baileyworks. If you're going to be mixing walking and riding,T2.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X