View Single Post
Old 05-15-10, 10:51 AM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
Could you point me to a bike that would cost under $1000 and would weigh 19-21 pounds? If you're sticking to CrMo steel, that would be pretty darn hard; the Rivendell Roadeo can be tricked out to weigh under 20 lbs. but it would cost 3.5-4 times the price of a 2009 Aurora. I can't think of a CF bike that would weigh that little for under $1000. But I'm not in the market for one, so maybe I've missed something.
Why do people get stuck on buying new? Only my opinion here... but I think that it is downright silly to buy a new bicycle when there are tons available every weekend that people rode three times and then stored in the garage for a couple of years. And buying a used bike isn't risky like buying a used car. As much as we here would like for it to be all mysterious and complicated... a bike is an extremely simple machine. Hard to get ripped off if you've educated yourself beforehand.

I don't live in a really bike heavy community, and I still regularly see $2,000 - $3000 bikes listed for sale here for a song. They're often like new. And even almost new bikes sell for cheap... just exercise patience and a deal will come along.