View Single Post
Old 05-15-10, 02:13 PM
ccd rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
Uh, yeah. But ccd rider said "prepared," period. Not "prepared for a minor bump." Big difference.

Those who equate wearing a bike helmet with "being prepared" are badly mistaken about the protective qualities of their headgear as well as the types of dangers they face while riding a bike in traffic. Plain and simple. They would be better off leaving the things at home.
Allow me to clarify my point.....because I think when someone reads a passage from someone else whom which they have already decided they disagree, they often in their zeal to retort tend to take things out of context.

My point was meant to be a GENERAL statement about how someone views wearing a helmet as PART of their safety preparation. It seems there are those who insist that just because someone wears a helmet that they have some sort of disregard for being safe otherwise......as if just wearing a helmet will make them bombproof. I think that is the fundamental disassociation I am trying to counter. Wearing a helmet and being aware of other types of dangers do not need to be mutually exclusive, do they???

In fact, I would add that those who think wearing a helmet is a safe idea ALSO would be keenly aware of other types of dangers because they are already thinking about safety (in their view) by wearing one. The disagreement is on the usage of the helmet as a safety tool.....not whether or not wearing one precludes a rider from practicing other forms of safe riding in traffic.

Will there be those who ride who think that wearing a helmet is all they need to worry about? Of course. But I think stigmatizing all who choose to wear one, from the standpoint of them being "badly mistaken" about their protective qualities, is a gross mischaracterization.

Now, did I take anything you said out of context?