Old 04-20-05, 08:00 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I don't know. I am going to be converting my bike from a triple (52,42,30) with a 12-25 9 spd to a compact double (50/34) with 11-27 10sp and think I will actually be gaining gears while limiting my shifting. Now that I know how to properly shift my triple I find there are a bunch of combinations I don't use and I am shifting onto the small ring sooner and more often to keep revs up and maintain my cadence. By going to the wider ration compact double I will have more top end and the same (are darn near it) bottom end plus less shifting from ring to ring. With 10 on the back and a compact double I think it could be the best option.

Edit: ok maybe gaining gears isn't the correct thing to say. I guess what is really happening is I will be loosing duplicated gears.
I like that idea of using a compact with a 11-27 10s. It gives you pretty low gearing, but with only 1 chainring shift instead of two. You won't get the absolute low gearing of a triple, but everything is a comprimise.