Clyde - Grinder

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite - 2007 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by century0fakers
I'm on a mountain bike with slicks, so I'm a little more
concerned than my road bike riding friends.
Did two-day STP like this last year at 300 lbs or so. The less-than-optimally trained masses will be very jealous of your low gearing in Puyallup. If you're getting decent training including hills, you're going to be golden. Concur with Clifton on the hill by the hospital when you're rolling into PDX, that was a nasty little surprise. Also, on both the Lewis and Clark Bridge over the Columbia and the bridges in PDX, you might be caught off guard by the steep approach grades, especially that late in the ride.

Honestly, Chilly Hilly was more difficult for me this year on a road bike and many pounds lighter than STP was for me last year on the MTB. If you managed Baker Hill Road without walking, you're golden. You're going to get to the top of the hill in Puyallup (I refuse to capitalize it) and have the most important lesson for modern America permanently tattooed to your brain: don't believe the hype.

Best practical advice: get two slices of banana bread in Vader. When you finish the first you're going to think "damn that was awesome, wish I had another piece." Now you will!