roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
i really hate to make a thread like this, because i really don't like this whole "Fred" thing. anything that stratifies also divides....and also i am as big of a poseur (see: flickr) as the next guy so i'm definitely not one to judge.

but: this morning in central park must have been the first day that the temperature was above most cyclists' threshold because it was a mob scene. I usually am in the park by 5:30 and it's quiet and peaceful. usually, only the more dedicated people are up that early, so you can get in a quiet, peaceful, safe ride.....but not this morning. tons of expensive bikes, everybody racing everybody. I was in an 18mph paceline, just doing laps.

on every uphill, i hear a chorus of CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
on every downhill, it's ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR RIGHT ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR RIGHT

then, there was a section where it's easy to get kind of fast, and a delivery truck was parked in one lane. of course, since everyone was going WAY too fast, it was a major panic and some poor guy crashed.

i was kind of stunned by the chaos and poor etiquette.
Precisely why I don't miss Central Park in the spring and summer for riding; heck I haven't ridden there in a few years because the only time I would be able to is when the yahoos are out. I've been tempted to ride up to 110th through the park, so who knows maybe I will next week but the greenway is a more direct route for me.