Old 05-20-10, 02:27 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
Precisely why I don't miss Central Park in the spring and summer for riding; heck I haven't ridden there in a few years because the only time I would be able to is when the yahoos are out. I've been tempted to ride up to 110th through the park, so who knows maybe I will next week but the greenway is a more direct route for me.
jorge, may i suggest a few laps around CP in the winter. it's actually quite nice as no one is out. on the flipside, the cold does slow the bike down quite a bit...

Originally Posted by Inertianinja
i really hate to make a thread like this, because i really don't like this whole "Fred" thing. anything that stratifies also divides....and also i am as big of a poseur (see: flickr) as the next guy so i'm definitely not one to judge.

but: this morning in central park must have been the first day that the temperature was above most cyclists' threshold because it was a mob scene. I usually am in the park by 5:30 and it's quiet and peaceful. usually, only the more dedicated people are up that early, so you can get in a quiet, peaceful, safe ride.....but not this morning. tons of expensive bikes, everybody racing everybody. I was in an 18mph paceline, just doing laps.

on every uphill, i hear a chorus of CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
on every downhill, it's ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR RIGHT ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR RIGHT

then, there was a section where it's easy to get kind of fast, and a delivery truck was parked in one lane. of course, since everyone was going WAY too fast, it was a major panic and some poor guy crashed.

i was kind of stunned by the chaos and poor etiquette.
my man, i believe you just described the typical poseur cyclist. the on your left/right is by far the most annoying. more often than not, it rattles the rider ahead. the only time it's worth shouting something is when people veer off and is about to push you off the curbs or into a sign...

that said, yours truly will be doing intervals in CP later, most likely towing a bunch of poseurs who can't handle bikes...