Old 05-23-10, 12:33 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is that thing called pedalling in circles. If you are not fixed to the pedals you will only be able to put in turning power from 1 o'clock to 6. Only when you can push down on the pedals in other words. If you are clipped in- the power stroke will start earlier and finish later. In fact if you want to get really efficient you can train yourself to do nearly a full circle of the pedals with power in. This does take a bit of practice and training but most mortals do find that the power can come in from about 11 o'clock to 8 and for a bit of rest for tired muscles- you can also ride with only putting in power on the upstroke.

I do not try to be "Super" efficient on the stroke- but after 15 years or so of clipless I have to have the cleat tension up quite high. My natural stroke is about 75% of the pedal circle and if the tension is not high- I find that I pull the shoe off the pedal by unclipping on the upstroke.

But some people cannot get on with clipless- They don't like being stuck to the pedals and they like to move the foot around on the pedals. No problem- but one thing you should think about is footwear. The firmer and less flexible the sole of the shoe- then you will be more efficient and will probably get less foot pain. Cycling specific shoes are made with that firm sole and the can be quite cheap. Get an MTB type shoe and IF you ever want to go clipless- then the fixings for cleats will already be in place. (And you will not have a problem walking around as you will have with most Road type shoes.)

Spike Milligan