View Single Post
Old 04-21-05, 09:27 AM
Burke Wells

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
5'7" - Curious if my bike is too small

I've been looking around at so much bike measurement & fitting info on the web, measuring myself, and trying to determine whether my current bike is an appropriate fit, or if it might actually be too small for me. (And yet I'm still a bit confused & unsure... ) My LBS wants $150 for a fitting, and I just can't justify spending that kind of cash right now, especially just to find some basic answers to satisfy my ignorance & curiosity.

I'm 5'7" with a cycling inseam of 30". My bike's seat tube (center-to-center) measures 49cm, and the top tube (center-to-center) measures 54cm. It's my understanding that a bike's frame size is determined by the length of the seat tube, thus I would deduce that my bike is a size 49. But then again, I feel so ignorant on some of this stuff that I might be completely mistaken.

Overall, the bike feels ok, but when I'm going down a hill and try to tuck into a good aero position, I find myself feeling a bit cramped. I seem to have the desire to push my butt back farther past the seat as I'm leaning my torso down more, with hands in the drops. (kinda hard to explain, but maybe you know what I mean). My saddle is currently as far back on the rails as it will go, thus making me wonder if my aero "awkwardness" is due to the bike being too small, or either my position is just wrong on the bike.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Burke