Old 05-24-10, 12:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Big aside- those m%%$@*& aphids are tearing into my tomatoes.Little do they know that this year I'm going to poison them.My more Bacillus thur whatever or diatomshj; they are getting a snoot full of bug stray. Any idea what will croak them, but not croak too many bees ??
A friend of mine suggested something called Safer Soap. It's organic, which is probably more important for something like tomatoes or starwberries, that you plan to eat. And apparently it won't kill ladybugs or bees. But I haven't been able to find any locally, so I'm mixing soap and water, and using a wash cloth to get them off the plants. It's time consuming, though, so I'm not doing it enough, and the strawberries are slowly wilting.

I got a flat on Saturday, and didn't have a spare tube or much in the way of tools with me. It took about two hours to get to the nearest bike shop and get it fixed; I had to walk a couple miles to a store to break a $5 into bus fair, and then wait for one to show up. Somebody else walked by, and asked how I like disc brakes on my (CX) road bike. We got to talking, and the guy turns out to be just getting into cycling, so we talked about our favorite routes, bike friendly places to eat, and stuff like that. His wife showed up right about when my bus did, so we both had some entertainment. Then, with a newly inflated tire, I went off to explore the Duwamish trail.