View Single Post
Old 05-24-10, 12:33 PM
xnevergiveinx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm having trouble with my downtube nova since i swapped out the rear freewheel gear. i bought an 11-28T freewheel from itselectric.ca. i waited half a month to receive it(they ship from canada). then i realized that my freewheel tool did not fit shimano freewheels, so i had to pick up another

took off the stock freewheel, put in the new freewheel. it works great, with the exception from shifting down from gear 7 to gear 6. it seems as though i cannot get the tension dialed in correctly on the shifter cable. i have spent a couple of hours adjusting the cable tension with the twister on the end of the derailleur, also adjusting how much cable is pulled under the nut. i really didn't do much with the hi and low screws.

every other gear is fine with shifting. also, i can shift from 5 to 6 to 7 just fine. but going from 7 to 6 results in the chain staying on 7 and clicking like crazy. so, i just shift from 7 to 5 and back to 6, if i need to be in 6.

one thing i noticed about the freewheel from itselectric, the cog teeth are not slightly angled. the stock freewheel that came with the downtube had the teeth of several cogs turned slightly to aid with shifting. obviously the freewheel cog teeth on the itselectric gear are hardened, so i cannot bend them at all.

also, i noticed that it looks like the itselectric freewheel has a retainer ring that holds the cogs in place. if i could get that off, i think i could reduce the spacer that goes between gear 6 and 7, it would likely allow the shift to complete successfully

ideas?