Old 05-24-10, 09:28 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I'm not sure yet but this may become a bit of a rant...

They revised the racing cats here over the last 2 years and now it is set up so that there are Elite cats and citizen cats.

The citizen cats are age grouped. The Elite cats are called E1, which is any National Team or Continental Team riders and a few others (based on results, I think) and E2 based on previous results and grouped by age. The E1 and E2 cats race together.

The E2 cats are 19~29, 30~39 and 40+. I am 46 and may be the oldest fart in the Elite cats. It used to be 40~45 but it changed this season (when I turned 46?).

Ok, details out of the way here's what's bugging me; 10 years ago there would be foreign (Int'l) riders at some of the bigger events but most events were the same draw of riders from across the country (small island with 20+ million people so you can go to every race). Now there are 2 Continental teams based here, a much stronger National Team program and a slew of riders from Hong Kong, Japan or Korea at pretty much any race. In short the level of racing has jumped considerably.

This was fine when I was fit and 40 but now the racing has gotten to the point where it can be about hanging on.

Most of the guys in my age group aren't racing anymore, they're just waiting to place. By this I mean they have to watch the real race and then suck wheel or wait for the finish climb to sort out our cat.

I just can't race this way. What's the point? I can't toe the line and not be involved in the racing.

It doesn't help that I just haven't found any fitness this year and probably won't. The work that I have done to help my team mates at races has cost me any hope of a podium spot in my own cat, which wouldn't be so bad if were weren't focused on team ranking for the season (currently 5th Nationally).

Other than getting fitter and changing the way I race I really don't know what to do. And worse it's taking all the joy out of racing for me.

It's been a really long time but this must be a lot what cat3 riders in P/1/2/3 races feel like.

No real point.

My wife isn't interested, my son is 3 and we don't have a dog...I had to tell somebody
Me either.

If the level of racing has jumped, you need to go with it. I guess.

my race videos